CONNECTING BACK WITH SNACKS FROM THE PAST
The term “Cuban lunch” came into use before WWI, during the Spanish-American War. A Cuban Lunch was a soldier’s rectangular chocolate ration, and the slang term held on in common use.
To hold the bar, a red fluted wrapper was used, and NOTHING else. Yes, back in the day, bars were not individually wrapped in cellophane. That modern food development came along after the 1950’s, to improve shelf life and the safety of Canada’s food chain.
At it’s main plant, located at 311 Ross Street, Winnipeg, the Paulin Chambers plant dutifully churned out the 5 cent bars for decades longer than other bars of similar size.
Up until the 1970’s, the chocolate was scooped by hand into each cup, but that made way for a mechanized depositor as modern factory practices affected the making of Canada’s dry goods.
Quality over quantity, bringing back flavours from the past requires a certian attention to detail.